Sunday, April 4, 2010

Prague





Prague has stolen my heart. I’ve heard that it’s one of the most beautiful cities in the world, and let me tell you—it lives up to all the hype. Our hostel turned out to be a fully furnished 2-bedroom apartment with a living room, bathroom, kitchen and a view from the balcony that could make any heart break. (And it only breaks your heart because after you see it, you have to leave it…and that’s the last thing you want to do.)

The View.





The climb up to the castle and the metronome (both of which overlook the city) was totally worth it. I don’t even have the words to explain what I saw. It was sunny, 70 and the river shimmered. Sounds cliché, right? But it’s the truth. Prague was perfect in that moment. And actually, I think Prague would be perfect in any moment…rain, snow or shine.

Like Hungary, the Czech Republic suffered the same Soviet and Nazi occupations, but for some reason, Prague didn’t feel the same way Budapest felt. Prague has come away with some life in its back pocket, and the people seem much happier.

Anyway, I really think I could live in Prague. It’s devastatingly beautiful with its domes and spires and orange roofs and cobblestoned streets and Easter markets and eclecticism.

I’m so glad I came on this trip. I’m seeing cities that are beautiful, and such beauty is defined by a history. These cities are beautiful because of what they are and what they are not.

Prague isn’t like anywhere: I’m convinced. No place has ever made my heart ache like this before.

No comments:

Post a Comment